An Ostrich Egg for Betty White

Sunday, November 22, 2009

I had a brush with celebrity earlier this month - I was thrilled to be able to meet actress and animal advocate Betty White (yes, that Betty White - from the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Golden Girls, Boston Legal and The Proposal).



Here's the back story: I've been drawing animals in pen & ink on ostrich eggs for many years, since I worked at the Sacramento Zoo as the Volunteer/Events Coordinator in the 80's. These eggs are presented as awards at Zoo events, offered as silent auction items and gifted to major Zoo donors and supporters. I'm very fortunate to have maintained a relationship with the Zoo staff and they commission at least a dozen eggs from me each year. By last count, that's well over 200 eggs that I've "inked".

I was honored when my Zoo friends commissioned an egg as a gift for Betty as a "thank you" for being the featured guest at a fund-raiser for the new new "Tall Wonders" giraffe habitat expansion project. Just knowing that a piece of my art would be in her collection was exciting enough, but then I was invited to the event too! Below is the egg, with a giraffe drawing, of course.


When the egg was presented to Betty, I was standing on the other side of the room watching with butterflies in my stomach. I honestly got chills when the Zoological Society's board president handed the egg to her and she seemed truly touched an happy to receive the gift. She then sat down with it clutched to her chest for a little while.



It was a wonderful evening and I felt like I was part of the staff again - I hung out with a couple of Zoo gals at the raffle table, chatted with folks I'd worked with ages ago and got up close and personal with a couple of critters. Event attendees were also able to get a sneak preview of the new giraffe habitat. As for Betty, she was funny, gracious and sweet - an amazing woman and she admitted during the Q & A session on stage that she was 87. I sure hope I can be that spry and sharp when I'm her age!





There wasn't much time to have a conversation with her, but thanks to Valorie Schneider (the current Volunteer Coordinator) and Mary Healy (Zoo Director), I was able to have two photos taken with Betty and chat with her a little bit. I also got her autograph on my name tag.







Yes, I was fairly floating when I left the event and walked back to my car that night and I suspect I had a grin on my face the entire drive home!

5 comments:

Suzi in Sacramento November 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Hey Ann, I think it's GREAT that you put this on your page. You should be very proud! It's a great picture of you with Betty, & I LOVE the egg!

Suzi

PoozyBear December 11, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

What a fun and memorable evening you must have had. I know that Betty will treasure that egg (who wouldn't - it's fabulous). The two photos are terrific. I especially like the first one. You both look so pretty. How kind of her to pose for the photos and give you the autograph. The lady's a class act.

suzyb December 16, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

What a wonderful evening. I am so glad you were a part of it Ann, you are deserving of it for sure. I love you stuff!!! :) Betty has been involved with animals of all kinds for many years and I am sure she'll put her treasure under glass. :)
Sue

Unknown December 16, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

How cool! This is so great - Betty White has been such a friend to animals for years.

Janey Ranlett December 16, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

Great photos Ann! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP