Yee Haw - I Rode a Steer!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Why? Because I could! Kimberly, a friend of mine, has been training her two steers for quite some time now. Her business is called "Howdy Moo to You" and they've been in parades and have entertained at parties and schools. Recently I ran into her (and the "Moo Boys") at an event and told her I'd love to ride one of them. The older one, Dozer can be ridden, while the younger one, Jazzy is still in training. So a few days ago, we met out at Traylor Ranch (where easy riding trails abound) and had a great time.





Dozer is an Irish Dexter steer and at 3-years-old is full grown. He's a very nice boy and didn't give us any trouble. He ambled along the trails at Traylor as we took turns riding him. Kimberly worked Jazzy (a longhorn) from the ground with long lines - he's still young and needs some more work before he can be reliably ridden. Jazzy came from Premier Longhorns - a company who specializes in riding steers.



Check out the videos of me aboard Dozer:





We decided that riding a steer is like riding a draft horse with pony legs. The gait is short, but not as choppy as we expected. Dozer only walked though, so I imagine a trot would be a bit rough. It was quite relaxing and slow-paced. Both steers were very calm and nothing seemed to fluster them - unlike horses! A noisy truck/transfer rig pulled into the parking lot just as I was starting to ride Dozer and it didn't phase him; many horses would have been spooked by that. It was also pretty windy - something that can get horses a little hyped up - but the steers couldn't have cared less.

Dozer is a little sluggish in responding to cues (the same ones you'd use on a horse - leg & rein) but I suspect that as he gets more miles under saddle, he'll be snappier. It was certainly a unique opportunity and I'm looking forward to doing it again. My friend Rachel & I are also planning to help Kimberly start riding Jazzy.

6 comments:

Kimberly Henson February 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM  

That was so much fun, Ann. Your enthusiasm about riding these Moo Boyz is so encouraging. It is a real paradigm shift to see how well they can be trained, even by a beginner like me ( I can hardly get my dog to sit,LOL!) and then to see how they respond so naturally to riders used to horses. Like you say, with more time under saddle and with confident riders, they can really MOOO've forward in their training. Makes me wonder why more folks haven't been riding steers. Dozer and Jazzy are sure special bovine friends. There is much interest generated in their progress..so, I expect there will be more riding steers coming down the trail. I already have a gal who wants to train her Jersey bull calf to ride. Yee Haw!! Thanks again, for your willingness to think outside of the saddle!

Donna Rossbo February 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM  

Yeehaw Ann, I've been out often with Kimberly, Dozer and Jazz. It's a very pleasurable experience working with the steers. I'm also learning as we go. The Boyz are quite mellow and it's so cool getting to know their personalities. Nothing like having a couple cow friends! Makes me want to go Vegan. LOL! Donna www.stampedecountrydance.com

Premier Longhorns February 14, 2011 at 5:47 AM  

What a delightful blog! Thank you so much for sharing the videos. These beautiful animals are smart, affectionate and therapeutic. Definitely a pleasant and relaxing escape from life's stresses! And sooo much more than "what's for dinner"!! Visit us at www.premierlonghorns.com/RidingLonghorns.html for more pictures of Kimberly's beautiful Jazz and Dozer, too!

Sandy Byers February 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

Hahha! Ann, that was such a hoot! I loved that you shared this video - it is the bright spot of my day. Hugs and purrs, SandyB

AnnRan February 15, 2011 at 10:08 PM  

Thanks for the comments everyone! It really was fun to ride Dozer and I look forward to spending more time with the Moo Boyz :-)

Unknown February 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM  

Sandy just gave me the link to this, I share an interest for the moo moos, really interesting post;o)

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP