Saturday, April 06, 2013
|"Sleeping Patterns", diptych - each half is 8" x 8", on Ampersand Scratchbord|
I finished this drawing with about two days to spare. I wanted to submit something new for this year's International Society of Scratchboard Artists' (ISSA) exhibit. I had to take a week-long break from the "Down on the Farm" series to make the April 1st entry deadline. This tiger drawing has been on my "to do" list since I saw the wonderful reference photo in a Sacramento Zoo membership brochure. I'm fortunate to have contacts at the Zoo, so I was able to get permission to use the photo and a high resolution digital file from which to work. I knew from the moment I saw the photo that I needed to come up with a unique concept for rendering it. Using scratchboard was a no-brainer and the composition pretty much created itself. I wanted to makethis a diptych (two part) piece, so I took the original photo and cropped/scaled it into two 8" x 8" sections. I liked the mirror image of the photo better, so I flipped it also. I used Derwent Inktense pencils to color only the tigers' heads and I knocked the rest of the drawing back with a wash of diluted black ink. You can see each finished half at the bottom of this post.
|The original photo|
|The photo flipped, sized and cropped into two parts|
|Greyscale version of the previous photos|
Since I was up against a deadline, I didn't have time to scan this drawing in progress, but I did scan each part after I finished the scratching.
And here are the two finished halves.
This piece represents a lot of scratching and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. And it's always nice when a finished drawing matches the vision I had for it!