Bernese Mountain Dog Portrait in Progress

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Today I worked on this portrait of Kassie, a very sweet Bernese Mountain Dog. This is the second Kassie portrait for me. A few years back, I did a scratchboard portrait of Kassie in a realistic style (below). The new portrait is in my "Paintings with Petzazz" interpretive style - bright vibrant colors with a limited palette painted in watercolor on Yupo (a synthetic paper). The color on the real portrait is a bit different than what you see here - I took a photo of it, and the lighting wasn't that great. I fought with the color correction for a while and then I said "to heck with it" and let it go, so you'll have to use your imagination a bit. The background is bright orange, but there's more variety of tone/color than what's showing here. The orangey-pink tones on her face are really a vibrant magenta. Most of the part that's white now will be various shades of purple and purple-blue. Her throat & chest are white, but I'm using shades of light purple for the shadows; she also has a white muzzle and a "blaze" running down from the top of her head (you can see all that in the realistic portrait). Even though the colors are a bit off, at least you can see Kassie's wonderful, happy personality! I'll post a better scan of the final portrait after I finish it later this month.

The realistic portrait was done in ink on scratchboard to the point where it was finished, but then I used a bit of watercolor to tint her caramel colored "points", tongue and eyes. The effect reminds me a bit of a hand-tinted black & white photo.

3 comments:

Jeremyinc October 30, 2007 at 6:30 PM  

Hey, good luck on the bernese mountain dog portrait! I just designed this Bernese Mountain Dogs website for my mom, wanted to get some feedback on it. You should take a look at the puppies...they are adorable!

Leave a comment on my blog! Thanks

AnnRan October 30, 2007 at 11:29 PM  

Thanks Jeremy. You can see the finished Kassie portrait in my January 13, 2007 post.

And of course, the Bernese pups are adorable! The web site's nice too :)

-Ann

Anonymous December 1, 2007 at 9:38 PM  

Nice work Ann! And a beautiful subject you are working on. (I'm a bit biased though :)

Check out my website: www.blondebynature.com for a little insight into owning one of these beautiful creatures!

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP