Sami Portrait

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Just finished an ink on scratchboard portrait of Sami, the yellow lab.

Her owner provided a couple of photos and I chose to work with this one.

photo provided by Sami's owner

I rotated it slightly counter-clockwise to level out the angle of her head (that's why the upper left corner is missing). And then cropped it to the 6"x6" format her owner and I decided upon.

cropped and rotated color photo

Then I converted the color photo to greyscale to give me a better reference for the tones.

greyscale photo

Here's the only in-progress scan I made:

Sami's portrait in progress

And the final portrait:

Ink on Scratchboard portrait of Sami, by Ann Ranlett

Notice that I darkened the really brightly sun-lit areas on Sami so they would show up against the white background. It's important when working from photos not to copy them exactly. I find that I'm always making artistic judgement calls when creating portraits. Even a realistically rendered portrait is an interpretation.

1 comments:

Jeremyinc January 16, 2008 at 6:58 AM  

Hey it's me again. Jeremy. I took at look at your finished bernese mountain dog portrait, it looks great. I browsed through a lot of your work and liked them all. Looks like you have a lot of fun drawing

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP