Greyhounds!

Monday, November 27, 2006

I visited a local greyhound rescue facility on Friday - an interesting experience (more about that later). It was a multi-purpose visit since I had a greyhound painting to deliver and the client who purchased it was going out to adopt a new greyhound - so we combined purposes and I met her at the rescue place. I'd known about the facility for a while and had wanted to get out there, so this worked out great.Freddie - reference photo
Blue Boy - the painting of FreddieThe painting is one I did over a year ago. The photo I used for the reference was one my client had taken of one of her ex-racing greyhounds (Freddie) - I'd filed it in my archives for future use. At the time I created the painting, I was working on my initial series of "Paintings with Petzazz" pieces and really liked Freddie's expression; so Freddie became "Blue Boy". At the time, there was no expectation that she should/would buy the painting, it was just something I wanted to do and I sent her a print and a magnet with the "Blue Boy" image. This year, however, she saw the painting again and she and her husband decided they wanted to buy it. Of course, I'm very happy that the painting now hangs in their home and Freddie's!!

I said the visit to the facility was "interesting" because it's typical of any animal rescue system in that it's great to get a chance to meet new animals and the folks who care so deeply about them, but it's extremely sad that the animals even need to be rescued in the first place. There were about 12 dogs there and I believe most of them had come from the same racing circuit in Arizona. Racing greyhounds lead difficult, unpleasant lives and when they're no longer of any use (either as racers or breeders), they are discarded. I won't go into further detail, but it's a terrible, inhumane situation. Greyhound rescue organizations around the country take in as many as they can, nurse them back to health, figure out their personalities & behavioral issues and endeavor to find permanent, loving homes for them. Even though they've lead rough lives, these rescued greyhounds make good pets; they have sweet, gentle personalities and have been described as "40 mile an hour couch potatoes". Of course, it takes a special person to adopt one and help them learn how to enjoy life, but the rescue folks are very experienced and adept at facilitating that transition. For more information about greyhound rescue and adoption, check out www.greyhounds.org and www.greyhoundfriendsforlife.org.

2 comments:

Anonymous November 28, 2006 at 3:44 PM  

Hi Ann! Sandy sent me the link to this blog since Juliet and I recently adopted a greyhound! Aren't they great dogs?! Our dog is less than two years old and never raced (although she was raised at a track), which is why we think she is so hyper and full of energy! I guess they determined that she wasn't fit to race for whatever reason. We get together with other greyhound owners and it is amazing to watch them run as a pack. Anyway, I'm glad the dogs made such a good impression on you.

Mike Farmer

AnnRan November 28, 2006 at 6:23 PM  

Thanks for the comment Mike! Even though I'm hopelessly addicted to border collies, I'm a big fan of greyhounds. I've met quite a few over the years and they're very cool dogs: graceful, beautiful and sweet - and those thighs are something else!

-Ann

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP