Misty - Pinto Filly Drawing

Tuesday, March 24, 2009



I finished this ink on scratchboard drawing last week. This is Misty, a pinto filly. She's a "pinto" and not a "paint" because she's a cross of an Arab mare and a Paint stallion. Pinto is a color pattern, Paint is a breed - although there is a Pinto horse registry for pinto colored horses of a variety of breeds. So there's your horse breed lesson for the day.

As often happens with drawings or paintings that aren't commissioned, this one took a while to finish. I took the photos of Misty and her dam a few years ago. I started the drawing in 2007 as a demo for an ink on scratchboard workshop. The in-progress drawing came with me to subsequent workshops and I made more progress on it. At the last workshop I taught in February, I managed to push it past the halfway point. When that happens, it usually inspires me to finish a piece.



I also decided it would be a good drawing to enter into this year's Draft Horse Classic art show, so that gave me further reason to get it done. The drawing will debut at Dancing Dog Productions (1101 High Street, Auburn CA) for the Auburn Art Walk on June 11, 2009. I'm coordinating a show of students' works from my ink on scratchboard workshops and want to have one of my works in the Art Walk show.

This is the original photo I used for reference:


This is the cropped photo. I opted to crop out her body and focus on her head, neck & chest:


And, as I always do, this is a greyscale version to help me better see the tones of black, white and grey.


I added dark sections to the background in order to provide contrast for her blaze and the wispy white sections of her mane. I took some artistic license and opted not to show the shadow of her head on the white part of her neck and I made her face a bit more sun-lit to show more detail.

The drawing measures 5" x 6.5"

I have note cards of this drawing available in my ArtFire shop. I also have this cute photo of Misty biting a bike tire on cards in my shop.

6 comments:

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM  

A truly beautiful piece of work.

Gail H. Ragsdale March 25, 2009 at 3:55 AM  

Wow Ann!! It's hard to believe it's scratchboard! It is so good it looks like a photo at first glance! Sensational!

Annette Tait March 25, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

This is lovely Ann - great detail, lovely placement and I like the black and white contrast.

I always wondered about the pinto/paint difference too!

- and I also emphasize with you about finishing pieces - I have taken that long also!!

I like the pic of Misty and the tyre!! Must be tasty??

Melody Lea Lamb March 27, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

Ann, this piece is just exceptional! I know how much time and heart you put into it and the result is flawless.
~Mel

Kathleen September 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

Very nice! Fun to see the changes that you made from your photo, too.

AnnRan September 27, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

And this just in:

The drawing won a 2nd place in its class at the Art at the Classic show!

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP