And Now, Back to the Art

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Now that I'm home from Texas, I'm finishing up some new art for the Auburn Old Town Gallery. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm one of the featured artists for May and have been working on a number of new critter paintings on the Art Boards surface.

These are two that I had finished before we left, but hadn't had time to scan. They're both done in ink, watercolor & color pencil. The rabbit doesn't have much ink-work - just the eyes.


"Purple Pug", 4" x 4", Mixed Media on Art Board. Find "Purple Pug" items in my Zazzle Shop.


"Mr. Personality", 4" x 4", Mixed Media on Art Board

I always have a heck of a time capturing all the detail on paintings with large areas of white. The whites get "blown out" and lose some of the detail. I have a good scanner too, but there's only so much it can capture. And there's only so much time I want to spend fighting with the resulting image - on this one, I darkened the white areas just a touch so they wouldn't be so glaring, but beyond that, sometimes I have to throw in the towel and say, "the original is much better than the scan". Fortunately, I don't have to resort to that too often!

Here are the reference photos:


I must mention that "Mr. Personality" is Snoopy, a rex rabbit, and he belongs to Dianne Van de Carr, a friend and fellow Old Town Gallery member. Snoopy is quite the character and this is my third artful rendition of him.

2 comments:

Erica Lea April 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

It's not very often you see a purple pug;-) Very good likeness, though! And the bunny, too - I love Rex rabbits. They are sooooo soft, like velvet. They also have great personalities.

AnnRan April 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

I never saw a purple pug;
I never hope to see one;
but I can tell you anyhow;
I'd rather see than be one!

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP