"Devotion" - New ACEO

Tuesday, August 17, 2010


"Devotion" - pencil on Bristol, 2.5" x 3.5"

My latest ACEO is a drawing of a chestnut-colored pit bull with a wonderful white blaze and an expression of total adoration and devotion (well, he could just be begging for a cookie). Although I'm a die-hard border collie fan, I have a big soft mushy spot in my heart for pit bulls. We all know they get a bad rap, so part of it is that I like to root for the underdog, but another part of it is that they have such great expressions they make fabulous subjects for my art. And the pitties I've had the pleasure to meet are big ol' goofy love bugs.



My friend Sandy took the photo I used for reference.


Unfortunately, there are a lot of pit bulls in animal shelters and rescue facilities. There are too many being bred and they're a tough sell to potential adopters because of the negative press. So I decided that this drawing will help support a group that rescues and places quite a few pit bulls: A New Hope Animal Foundation. I had listed the drawing for auction on Art By Us, hoping to spark enthusiastic bidding and raise some money for A New Hope, but it didn't sell. So I'll frame it and keep it here for my upcoming September art show.

If you're interested in some note cards of "Devotion", you can find those in my Bonanzle booth.

I scanned the art at various stages of the drawing process, here's a video:


To learn more about pit bulls (which is really just a catch-all term for a few breeds and mixes of those breeds) you can visit Chako.org or Pit Bull Chat.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the title for this drawing was provided by fellow artist Judith Monroe - another pit bull fan.

2 comments:

Wendy Wright August 17, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

Awesome! Such amazing detail in such a small format.

Unknown August 20, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

The drawings came out great! And you're right, Pitt bulls get such a bad rep, and it's too bad, because they're such a great breed of dog. It's truly the owners fault if a pitt is the way they are (dog fighting, etc)..

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP