Ducklings!

Thursday, April 15, 2010


It's hatching time for wood ducks! We have three nest boxes on our property near our pond and each year at least one of them is deemed suitable by the nesting wood ducks. Yesterday when I was out in the paddock cleaning up after the horse, I realized that one of the wood ducks had been calling from the pond for quite some time. They're very shy ducks, so they usually call (a whistly, squawking, plaintive sound) and then fly off. But this one wasn't going anywhere. That's when I figured out it must be a hen calling to her ducklings to come out of the nest box. You can hear the sound here (it's toward the end of the recording).

She already had 3 little ones with her and I could hear at least 2 more peeping from inside the box. I had hoped to get some photos of them leaving the nest, but even though I checked many times throughout the day, I missed the action. Late in the day, I saw two lone ducklings cruising around the pond.

A few years ago, I was able to see ducklings leaving the same nest box and managed to take a few photos. See this blog post.



I'm not sure what happened to the hen and 5 ducklings from yesterday, but today, a hen was back on the pond, calling incessantly. Since I also saw her on the ground near the same nest box, I assume it was the hen from yesterday. I could hear at least 2 more ducklings in the box, but they never came out on their own. So when John got home this evening, we decided to intervene and release the little ones from the box before it got dark - so they could safely find the hen. John opened the box from the side to reveal two adorable ducklings. We put them in a 5-gallon bucket so I could take photos. Then we each took one and released them at the edge of the pond. They waddled into the water and swam off, not completely sure what to do, but peeping all the while. The hen continued calling and, within about 15 minutes, we watched them meet up and swim to the safety of the cattails at the back of the pond.



6 comments:

ScottO April 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

*hee hee* Nice pictures. Good story, too.

robertsloan2art April 15, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

That's fantastic. You got some incredible photos and I know you'll be drawing from them for years, the little ducklings survived, everyone's happy. What a cool story.

Gail H. Ragsdale April 16, 2010 at 3:34 AM  

Love ducks and so glad the story had a happy ending :-)

Wendy Wright April 16, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

Great post and what darling pictures! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

Just Me April 17, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

adorable. thanx 4 sharing. love them.
~Jillian

Janet April 17, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

Lucky you! We have a pair of woodies, and a box, but I don't think this pair produced any eggs. Both were on the pond this morning, and I think one would have stayed with the nest. I hope I'm wrong, and we get little puffballs too!

- - - All art and images ©Ann Ranlett, unless otherwise credited. All rights reserved. - - -
_________________________________
"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse."

___________________________

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP